International Languages – Portuguese Language Instructor JK/SK class
St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centre
Posting # CE-2019-23
Applications for the position of a Language Instructor – Portuguese are being accepted by the International Languages Program – Elementary for St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centres.
General Description of Duties:
The successful candidate will have a range of responsibilities including:
- Teaching the oral and written language skills of the Portuguese language
- Understand the concept of equity and inclusivity in the Canadian context and develop and maintain that equitable and inclusive environment in the classroom
- Use a variety of assessment to identify students’ needs
- Develop long and short-term plans to meet these needs and program’s objectives
- Prepare a range of appropriate teaching resources to encourage language learning
- Identifying students’ individual learning needs and using a variety of instructional strategies including small group, individual, whole class, and co-operative learning experiences;
- Identify what students are expected to know and be able to do (learning goals) and what it looks like when they are successful (success criteria), and share this information with students and parents
- Provide descriptive feedback based on the goals and criteria to help students identify what they are doing well and where they need to improve
- Help students to set personal learning goals and determine how to meet them
- Maintain a positive environment that emphasizes child-centered and activity-based learning in line with other ministry policies;
- Creating annual reports of students’ performance and challenges, with recommendations for improvement;
- Providing constant supervision of students (before class, during class and after class while they are waiting for their parent/guardian) to ensure their safety and well-being;
- Promoting positive attitudes towards, and encouraging enthusiasm for language learning;
- Using the target language as the language of instruction and communication whenever possible;
- With students, develop classroom routines and expectations aligned with the school code of behaviour;
- Ensure that volunteers understand instructor expectations and direction when they engage with students
- Acting as a team member in developing and running the ILE program;
- Participating in staff meetings, educational conferences, instructor training workshops, and extracurricular cultural events and activities.
- Fluent in oral and written Portuguese
- Preference will be given to those candidates with professional experience teaching languages & working with children
- Passionate about different cultures and the power of learning languages
- Ability to deliver programs in a fun and dynamic approach
- Professional proficiency in English
- Degree in child development, elementary education, foreign language education strongly preferred
- Ability to work successfully with colleagues on a team
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
Location and Hours:
- John Sweeney , 185 Activa Rd. Kitchener
- 9:00 am to 11:30 am
- Position is effective Jan. 11, 2020 to March 22, 2021
- $26.66 per hour (plus vacation pay)
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter.
Applicants must attach diplomas/certificates required for this position to the resume in order to be considered a candidate for the position.
Applications will be received via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first and last name and the posting number (provided above) in the subject line. Further information on the application process can be found at: https://wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Applications will be accepted until: January 4, 2020
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
To request this file in large print, please email email@example.com. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Background Check. For further information, refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.