Waterloo Region, ON – Nine Waterloo Catholic District School Board schools have been awarded “Healthy Schools” certifications by the Ontario Physical and Health Education Association (OPHEA). Four WCDSB schools received Healthy Schools certifications in 2016-17.
- St. Benedict CSS
- Resurrection CSS
- St. Joseph CES
- St. Elizabeth CES
- St. David CSS
- Holy Rosary CES
- St. Margaret of Scotland CES
- St. Nicholas CES
- St. Michael CES
- Participating schools across Ontario completed the 6-Step Healthy Schools Process, which aligns with the Ministry of Education’s Foundations for a Healthy School This process guides a school community through planning and implementation of a range of activities for a selected priority health topic. The process is annual, repeating each school year, and flexible for all communities across Ontario to sustain year over year. School teams focus on one of the following six health topics:
- Physical Activity
- Healthy Eating
- Personal Safety and Injury Prevention
- Growth and Development
- Mental Health
- Substance Use, Addictions and Related Behaviours
While a healthy school community aims to promote health in all six of the interconnected health topics, selecting a priority health topic based on each school community’s needs and assets helps focus the work of the school team. By focusing on one health topic comprehensively across as many of the five Foundations for a Healthy School areas as possible, schools are better positioned to have a deeper impact on their broader school communities.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board, representing more than 96,000 Catholic school supporters, operates 49 schools and five adult education facilities, serving more than 40,000 elementary, secondary and continuing education students in Waterloo Region – continuing a 182-year tradition of quality, inclusive, faith-based education. Follow us on Twitter: @WCDSBNewswire – #WCDSBAwesome.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
John Shewchuk – Chief Managing Officer
(519) 578-3660 | firstname.lastname@example.org