THE WCDSB RULES GOVERNING THE USE OF SCHOOL PROPERTIES
Below are detailed rules governing the use of all school facilities by Community Groups. Compliance with these rules will be monitored by Board personnel. FAILURE TO COMPLY WITH ANY OF THE RULES WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE CANCELLATION OF THE CONTRACT BY THE WATERLOO CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD.
Applications to use board facilities shall be submitted to the Facility Rentals via the Community Use of Schools link through the board’s website at www.wcdsb.ca at least fifteen (15) business days before the start of the permit use. For more information Facility Rentals can be reached by calling (519) 578-3677 ext. 2376 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Schools shall have first claim to the use of their respective building. Any agreement for the use of school facilities made with an outside organization must have approval from the Facility Rentals.
- All use of schools by outside groups shall be automatically cancelled when schools are closed due to inclement weather, strikes, or any other causes beyond the control of the Board. Normal fees will not apply.
- A permit request will not be considered unless it is entered into the Community Use of Schools link through www.wcdsb.ca. Verbal reservations and guarantees of availability cannot be made.
- ADEQUATE ADULT SUPERVISION (Adult is 18 Years of age or older) must accompany all rental groups. This supervisor must be with the group at all times during the rental time period. It is the responsibility of the group supervisor to ensure that their participants remain within the designated rental area, that damage to the building and grounds is not permitted and that all group participants leave the school facilities on or before the ending time of the rental permit. Board personnel will monitor all groups to ensure adequate supervision is maintained. When groups are renting multiple facility spaces, there must be a supervisor in charge of each area; i.e. when many classrooms are used, there must be a supervisor for each room. Youth group members must not enter the facility before the supervisor arrives. The group is responsible for monitoring the door. Doors must not be propped open. Supervisors must not leave until all members of their group have left the facility.
- Non-marking rubber-soled shoes must be worn at all times in the gymnasium or auditorium for all sports activities. Floor hockey, ball hockey, and any other activities requiring the use of sticks, are not permitted in any school gymnasium. Indoor balls must be used for appropriate sport rental activities.
- St. David’s Track & Field: Approved footwear must be worn at all times on the track and/or field i.e. only moulded rubber spikes are allowed on the field. The track can accommodate metal spikes to 6mm (conical or pyramidal in shape).
- Equipment: Rental charges for contracts do not include the use of school equipment other than volleyball poles and basketball nets. Sporting equipment such as volleyball nets, balls, floor mats, scoreboards, bleachers etc. are not included as part of the rental agreement. Rental charges do not include the use of school sound system, A/V equipment and lighting for auditoriums. The use of school equipment is not guaranteed.
These items must be arranged directly with the school and an additional charge may apply. The school would invoice any additional charges separately.
- Outdoor Equipment: At St. David’s, the soccer and field hockey nets can be used as long as the request is made on the application. The field score clock is available for a fee (see St. David’s Fee Schedule 4) and must also be requested on the application.
- The use of the facility must be confined to the hours specified by the applicant. Any damage, problems during the event, extended time and additional hours for cleanup will be noted and applicable costs charged to the user group. The Board will seek full restitution for any damage done to our buildings or grounds by the rental group/organization. The facility must be left in the same condition the group received it for use.
NOTE: Overtime charges are subject to change without notice.
- Permit fees shall be paid through the on-line data base through the use of a Visa or Master Card. Fees will be charged to the card at the end of each month following use. Any bank charges will be the responsibility of the group/organization.
- In default of payment or non-compliance with any conditions for use of facilities as specified above, the accommodation will not be available.
- Groups that wish to alter or terminate a contract must do so through their permit using the Community Use of Schools link on the board’s website (www.wcdsb.ca). A termination of contract fee will be charged. User groups that alter the permit will be granted one free alteration. There will be a processing fee for each subsequent alteration. These fees will be added to the monthly charges and applied to the registered charge card. Alterations must be done in the on-line data base at least 5 business days in advance.
- Groups that do not advise Facility Rentals that they are not using a time slot on their permit, within the 5 business days prior, will be charged as follows: First and Second ‘No Show’ – $25.00 + applicable rental/staffing expenses; third ‘No Show’ – $25.00 charge + applicable expenses and the remainder of the permit will be cancelled. ‘No Shows’ at St. David’s Track and Field will be levied the full cost of the permit.
The rental organization agrees to the following:
- To assume full responsibility for the acts and conduct of all persons admitted to the premises.
- To release the Board from any and all liability to any person for any loss, damage, or injury to any persons or property incurred in or upon the premises, unless resulting from the sole negligence of the Board.
- To supply and provide proof of insurance. Organizations shall request a Certificate of Insurance from their insurance broker for General Liability insurance in the minimum amount of $2M naming the “Waterloo Catholic District School Board” as an additional insured on the policy. Groups not covered by liability insurance may purchase the required insurance through the WCDSB Blanket Insurance based on the User Group Policy and Rating Schedule provided by OSBIE. The cost of the insurance will be reflected in the permit.
- During the use and occupations of the premises, the permit holder shall indemnify and save harmless the Waterloo Catholic District School Board from and against any and all liability whatsoever resulting from injury or damage to person, persons or property as a result of the use and occupation of the premises, unless such injury or damage results from the sole negligence of the Board.
- Authorized staff member or Custodian of the building must be on duty during the hours of rental by the organization or school groups.
- Permits are not assigned or transferable.
- Requests for tables and chairs must be requested on the online application form at the time of submission.
- Anyone wishing to have the piano tuned must do so at their own expense and use a Board approved tuner. Anyone wishing to have the piano moved from one level to another – i.e. from floor level to stage, must do so at their expense and with Board approved movers. The piano is to be returned to the original location after the rental.
- No food or drinks are to be served or consumed in the auditoriums and gymnasiums. Alcoholic beverages are not permitted in the building or on the grounds.
- There must be NO SMOKING in any part of the school building or on school property as such is law according to Bill 119, subsection 9 and also the Insurance Schedule of the Board.
- Games of chance, lotteries and gambling in any form are forbidden on school property.
All tables, chairs, dishes and other equipment brought into the school by the rental group shall be removed promptly after the permit activity
- The group is responsible for monitoring the door/gate. Doors must not be propped open.
- All scenery, special effects, props, etc. must meet fire code safety standards.
- Use of pyrotechnics is not allowed on board property.
- The seating capacity in the auditorium, gymnasium, and cafeteria must not exceed the Fire Department’s limit indicated on the capacity listings posted in these facilities.
- In compliance with Fire Department regulations, immediately on the sounding of the fire alarm, the house lights will be turned on and the audience requested to leave by the nearest exit. Only when the fire is brought under control, or it is determined that it is a false alarm, by the Fire Department will consideration be given to have the audience be allowed to re-enter the auditorium.
- Dry ice, smoke machines, or equipment producing similar effects. are not to be used in school facilities.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board (WCDSB) school fields/grounds are available for rental activities after 6:00 pm. Monday to Friday and on many weekends.
All rental groups are expected to comply with the bylaws, rules and regulations set out by the appropriate city/region/township/school board. If you are planning to sell goods while on school property, a vendor permit is required. Copies of all necessary permits (i.e. vendor permits) must be forwarded to Facility Rentals at least 2 weeks prior to the event date. A bylaw officer/inspector for the appropriate municipality may be invited on behalf of the WCDSB to inspect all aspects of the event.
In consideration of the neighbourhood, there is to be no artificial or amplified sound including, but not limited to, car horns, air horns, music, sirens, etc. An exemption to the noise bylaw must be obtained from the applicable municipality in order to have amplified announcements and a copy of the approval is to be sent to Facility Rentals.
The appropriate city/region/township for each school typically rents out the sport fields (except St. David’s) from May until October for sports activities:
City of Kitchener: 741-3400 ext. 2398
City of Waterloo: 885-1220 ext. 232
City of Cambridge: 740-4681 ext. 4214
Township of Woolwich: 669-1647 ext. 259
Township of Wellesley and Wilmot do not book out school sports fields
Sports Field and Track at St. David Catholic Secondary School:
The Sports Field and Track at St. David Catholic Secondary School are a state-of-the-art synthetic turf and track, with lights available for evening use. This Sports Field and Track will have its own fee structure (Schedule 4). For more information, see the RULES GOVERNING THE USE OF SCHOOL PROPERTIES, especially #3 & #5.
Water, phone, washrooms and electricity are not available. Port-a-potties/generators would have to be arranged by event organizers. Arrangements have to be made to deliver equipment the afternoon before and must be removed the same or next business day. The WCDSB will not be responsible for any damage.
Barbeques: When using barbeques, they need to be at least 4.8 meters (16 feet) away from all buildings
Fees: Administration Fee
Custodial Fees may apply (2 hours minimum)
Damage/Cleaning Deposit – $200.00 (cash, certified cheque, money order) payable to the WCDSB will be due 15 days prior to the event date to the Facility Rentals, 480 Dutton Drive, Waterloo, ON N2L 4C6. If not required, the full deposit amount will be returned. The provision of a deposit will be at the discretion of Facility Services.
Activities not allowed on the school facilities/properties include, but are not limited to:
- artificial or amplified sound including, but not limited to, air horns, music, sirens, etc. An exemption to the noise bylaw must be obtained in order to have amplified announcements.
- Hot air balloons
- Ponies and other animals
- Commercial carnival/amusement type equipment/rides e.g. Dunk Tank, inflatable apparatus, motorized toys, etc.
- Skating rinks
- Car Washes
Rain Date: All events must be confirmed by 12:00 noon on the last business day prior to the event.
Parking Lots/Outside creative playgrounds, cement pads/basketball nets: The WCDSB does not rent/book out these areas for general use. If the general public uses these areas after school hours, they do so at their own risk. There is to be no overnight parking